Thursday, June 9, 2011

New Use for an Old Chair

Many of you talented gals can spend hours browsing flea markets, yard sales and garage sales to find that one piece that makes the heart go pitty-pat, that sorry old item you take home and, with a little elbow grease and some creative touches, turn from trash to treasure. I’m always looking for fun ways to display plants around my home and these planter ideas from bhg.com are just too clever.  Plain dining chairs that have seen better days refurbished into planters for your yard or garden. Removing the seat of a salvaged chair and adding some colorful paint gave these has-beens new life.

To create your own version, simply remove the seat or cut a hole in it and make a wire frame from chicken wire. Line the frame with coconut fiber, fill it with potting mix, and you're ready to plant.

An adorable child-size chair in blue and green holds pretty pink petunias.

p_101447226

 interior designer Renee Buchhauser on bhg.com

Using chicken wire, cut and form a wire frame to fit down into the seat of the chair.

ckn wire

Coco fabric liner to tuck into the chicken wire form.

CLPL17

Add some potting mix and lots of colorful plants or flowers.

mg

And look what you’ve got.

I love the bright green paint color on this revamped chair. The cut out sunflower adds some dimension. How simple.

p_101447230

This might be my favorite, so colorful and fun. I think I might fill this chair planter with some bold red, yellow and orange Gerber daisies.

p_101447231

Bright red paint spruces up this cute kitchen chair. You could be as creative as you like by adding words and fancy details.

p_101447228

This revamped chair wears softer paint colors and some “rosy” detail. Very pretty.

p_101447229

I know there are many of you out there in Blogland who could take this sad old chair . . .

Dining_chair_seatback

. . . and turn it into something fun and creative and even better, useful again.  Have any of you tried something like this before?  Come on, I know you have.  Would love to see if you’d like to share. Feel free to leave a comment and a link to your “revamped” blogpost and show us your creative side.  

p_101447227

Isn’t it wonderful to have Summer back again and everything that goes with it? Warm breezes, Summer rains, lots of sun, green grass and colorful plants and flowers. Mother Nature sure knows what she’s doing. Enjoy! 

signature b

Linking to:

Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed

Inspiration Friday at At the Picket Fence

Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

Open House Party at No Minimalist Here

Weekend Wrap up Party at Tater Tots & Jello

SNS at Funky Junk Interiors

Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch

14 comments:

  1. These are awsome, I own a store and have so many junk broken chairs, would love to try this! Good Job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. I am going to have a go at that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea and have done it myself several times. I have found chairs with broken and missing cane seats, no need to cut holes on these. Many times a flower pot will fit in the opening and the cascading flowers cover a multitude of sins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. I have seen old chairs used in this way, and love them. But you have inspired and motivated me to create some for myself. Thanks for the tutorial and multiple examples. Just found your blog from Sherry's blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting to turn a chair into a planter, but I just haven't made time to find an old chair. Thanks for putting up these inspiration photos because I got some good ideas from them. I put up a post this week about turning our old grill into a planter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those chairs are completely adorable!!! I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I keep wanting to do this and just never seem to get around to it! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all fantastic! So creative and unique! I'll be on the hunt for chairs to do. Hope you will visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how charming and sweet~ love your chairs! Thanks for sharing at FNF :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are wonderful! I love the little red one that says 'flowers' on it. What a fun project idea! Please stop by and join my link party this weekend =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/06/vip-party-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! Now, I want to make one for my front porch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your plant combinations are great and I love the happy stories the painted chairs tell.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...