Sunday, December 30, 2012

It’s Photography 101 for Me

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, that you spent the time with family and friends, ate lots of yummy food and enjoyed gifts both given and received.  Our kids and 2-month old granddaughter Isla were home for six days over Christmas and we did just that, hung out here at home, played games, watched movies and just relaxed.  Our little Isla is such a joy, she’s just now cooing and smiling.  There’s something very special about holding a sleeping baby in your arms while watching your family opening gifts and sharing stories.  It was wonderful. 

Aside from our new baby granddaughter, my favorite gift this year was the Nikon camera my hubby and kids bought for me.  I truly wasn’t expecting to find one under the tree this Christmas Eve, since my husband and I had looked at cameras while out Christmas shopping and of the three stores we went to, none had the Nikon 3200 in stock.  I was expecting we would go shopping after Christmas when stores replenished their inventory. They still won’t tell me how or where, but they found this camera in time for me to find it under the tree.  Pretty sneaky.  

While my old Canon point and shoot has served me well, I’ve been thinking of getting a new camera for some time.  I thought making this type of an investment required some research, so I’ve been reading up on several SLR cameras and settled on the Nikon 3200 as a good first choice at a higher-end camera.  Asking someone which camera to buy is almost like asking which doctor I should go to. Everyone says their doctor is the best, the smartest, the most compassionate to his or her patients. Ask someone who owns a Canon and they’ll highly recommend Canon. Ask a Nikon user and they’ll swear by the Nikon.  I hope I’ll be happy with my choice.

371_nikon_d3200_slant01

I have a lot to learn before I’m taking the quality photos that many of you share on your blogs, but I’m willing to learn.  Last summer, I took lots of outdoor photos around the lake near our home and in our many beautiful parks.  Some of them turned out quite well, more by luck than by my talent.  I hope by this summer, I will have learned to take full advantage of my new Nikon.  I intend to use it a lot.

371_nikon_d3200_card 

According to Nikon’s website the 3200 is an:

* Affordable camera with 24MP resolution
* A “Guide” system that will help beginners
* Numerous scene modes and digital filter effects
* Easy handling, light body, high resolution LCD screen
* Full HD video with 24, 25 and 30 frames per second
* Manual sound level control when recording video

371_nikon_d3200_top

I can’t wait to learn how to use it properly, so the photos I take when I’m on my walks along the lake turn out even better than before.  I love being able to capture a moment in time in a photograph, a moment that will never occur the exact same way again.  Whether it’s photos from Nature or the many pictures I hope to take of our new granddaughter, I intend to put this gift to good use. 

There are so many sites out there offering photo-taking tips and tricks, Photography 101 so to speak, for a newbie like me. If you know of any that have been particularly helpful to you, please leave a comment and let me know. 

Have a great day, everyone!

Just b smile

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new camera! I'll bet you're so excited. There's a book called Understanding Exposures that I really like and that you might like too. It seems like there are so many photography sites, the one that comes to mind that's kind of interesting is called Digital Photography School.

    I really love your granddaughter's name. It was one of the one's I considered when I had my daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting - congrats on the grandbaby and the camera! Take care, Laura

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...